Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Ernest Hemingway "Hills Like White Elephants"




I had read Ernest Hemingway's "Hills Like White Elephants" before in high school, and I remember being told that the American and the girl in the story are discussing whether or not she should get an abortion, but I didn't really  see where the teacher came to this conclusion. Upon rereading this story I don't know how I missed this concept when I was younger because it is very clear. From the man saying "It's really an awfully simple operation, Jig" to him saying "I'm perfectly willing to go through with it if it means anything to you." Throughout the thing the man is trying to convince the girl to get the abortion by saying that it's no big deal. The girl is still indecisive, but she is starts to agree with the man because she wants him to be happy and love her like he did before she became pregnant. At one point she says "I don't care about me", this is her saying she doesn't care what happens to her during the procedure she only wants things to go back to how they were. The man kind of backtracks in the end and says "I don't want you to do it if you don't want to. I'm perfectly willing to go through with it if it means anything to you." Implying that it's her choice, but still subtly convincing her to get it. Her response is "doesn't it mean anything to you?" He says "Of course it does. But I don't want anybody but you. I don't want anyone else. And I know it's perfectly simple." Basically saying we could keep it if you want, but I won't love you as much once there is a child that will also have my love. At the very end when he comes back he asks if she feels better and she says "I feel fine...There's nothing wrong with me. I feel fine" This could imply that she already got the abortion and feels fine from it or it could just be her calming down from her earlier outburst. The title of the story is something that is interesting and that I am still trying to understand what the hills like white elephants stand for. Elephants are large animals which could relate to the way that she will get bigger if she goes with the pregnancy. White is a pure color which could stand for the fetus inside her that is innocent and pure. All in all I found the story interesting, but I would not consider it one of my favorites, because I don't like how the man is pressuring the woman to get the abortion. It should be her own choice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment