Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Updike's "A&P"




I enjoyed reading Updike's "A&P". I liked how in the end Sammy quit and left the store even though he knew he needed the job he saw that something wrong was done, and he didn't tolerate it. I also liked how when the boss reminded him that he needed the job he completed quiting because once he started something he finishes it. I liked how the girls walked around in their bathing suits and ignored everyone's stares. They did what they felt like doing. I didn't like how the boss yelled at the girls in front of everyone, and told them they couldn't dress like that. It shows how people force their opinions onto others, and make them feel bad for doing something different then the norm. Wearing bathing suits in a grocery store is not the norm, but it also is not anything remotely bad that the manager needs to get upset about. I liked the word choice of calling the other shoppers sheep, and portraying them as animals. The story was really a simple encounter, that says a lot about society, and how different people react to things that are not generally considered normal societal behaviors.    

No comments:

Post a Comment